Black History is American History, and all February we are recognizing individuals who are standouts in their field in honor of Black History Month. Their dedication to their craft is moving our world forward, one step at a time. Check back all month as we update this page with more standout history makers!
Webster Cleveland, P1
Already a successful Aviation Electronics Technician in the U.S. Navy, P1 Cleveland decided on a career shift after his own health journey.
He found himself talking to the pharmacy staff in the Navy, and felt it was a natural interest. Though he enjoyed his job in the Navy, he realized that his career goals were elsewhere.
“I was slightly afraid if this was the right move for me since I was doing well in the Navy, but my interest was solidified after doing some research and talking to my mentors,” he said. “Pharmacy has always been fascinating to me.” Read more...
Faithful Anane-Asane, P4
This Spring, Anane-Asane is in Ghana for an elective, 6-week Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) rotation. APPEs provide student pharmacists with opportunities to grow their knowledge, develop professionally, and apply skills acquired throughout their pharmacy training.
"My rotation is at the Volta River Authority hospital, located in Akosombo, a small city in the Eastern region of Ghana," he explained. "I will be spending 70% of my 6-week in the hospital working alongside other clinicians in treating patients with various diseases. The other 30% will be spent in the community setting assisting patients with choosing over-the-counter treatment options for their illnesses."
He is most excited about learning the differences and similarities with pathways to care between Ghana and the U.S.
Chidinma Onyia, P4
A P4 with an impressive resume, Onyia was inspired to pursue pharmacy because growing up she became her grandma’s primary caregiver after an invasive surgery.
"She was on several medications, and I remember being in awe of how a single drug can transform an individual’s health and I wanted to learn more about how medications work," she said.
"I want Black people to know that they belong anywhere that they envision themselves, even if they may not see or know anyone taking their unique path. It’s okay to not align with the status quo and to always be confident in their abilities to know that they belong and will be successful." Read more...
Opeyemi Ibrahim, PharmD, Class of 2021
Sent from the United States to a Nigerian high school to be immersed in her heritage, Ibrahim discovered more about her passion. Although a long-time Colorado resident and CU Denver graduate, she can pinpoint her desire to be a pharmacist to three formidable years in Nigeria.
“In Nigeria, it seems like anyone can prescribe something, anyone can open a ‘pharmacy’ and many people don’t have access to a good, medically-trained pharmacist,” she said. “In many African countries, anyone can say ‘take this, or use this’ and no one would question it,” she said. “I have a passion to help with developing pharmacies that can be accessible and beneficial to people, and now I have a doctoral degree to do it.” Read more...
Dora Safoh, MSW, Operations Manager, Office of Student Services
Born in Ghana, West Africa, but raised mostly in the United States, she is the first in her family to receive a Master’s degree. In her previous position as Lead Case Manager with Anschutz Student Affairs she spearheaded the creation of programs such as the Food Pantry and CU Anschutz Shares.
"Understanding human development, behavior, and interactions has expanded my level of emotional intelligence and enhanced my interpersonal skills," she said, "both of which are key attributes to possess when working with people in general. Our office is committed to our students’ success, both professionally and personally." Read more...