The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus hosted its second annual Research Awards ceremony on Oct. 25. More than 125 people gathered to recognize the contributions of their fellow colleagues with cheers and standing ovations. With eight different award categories and over a dozen individual awardees, the event highlighted the significant depth, strength and teamwork of the CU Anschutz research community.
“This annual event allows us to come together as a research community to celebrate a truly exceptional team,” said Thomas Flaig, MD, vice chancellor for research at CU Anschutz. “It’s always a privilege to recognize those who have gone above and beyond, and it’s wonderful see the pride and support that our colleagues have for one another.”
The Award Ceremony Review Committee received more than 100 nominations, making the task of selecting this year’s winners a challenging one. Three of the 2022 award categories were based around the theme of collaboration, including the Research Faculty Collaborator Award, the Research Staff Collaborator Award, and the Research Collaboration Team Award. These awards recognized individuals and teams for utilizing cooperative approaches that bring together different disciplines and perspectives to advance scientific discovery.
Other awards recognized research excellence among faculty, trainees, rising stars, mentors and administrative team members.
Congratulations to everyone who was recognized for their outstanding contributions. The full list of award winners is below, and an event recording is available online.
Research Collaboration Team Award
- Synaptic Plasticity Supergroup – School of Medicine (SOM), multiple departments
Rising Star Research Award
- Suet Nee Chen, PhD – SOM, assistant research professor, Cardiology
- David J. Douin, MD – SOM, assistant professor, Anesthesiology
Faculty Research Excellence Award
- Kelly Doran, PhD – SOM, professor in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology
- Manisha Patel, PhD – Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, professor/vice-chair in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Research Faculty Collaborator Award
- Amy Huebschmann, MD – SOM, associate professor in the Division of General Internal Medicine
- Jay Hesselberth, PhD – SOM, associate professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
Research Staff Collaborator Award
- Tyler Borko, BA – SOM, clinical research coordinator in the Department of Neurology
Research Administration Award
- Michaela Montour, BA, MPA – SOM, assistant director for research administration at the CU Cancer Center
Trainee Research Excellence Award
- Michal Schafer, PhD – SOM, research instructor, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Rachel Culp- Hill – SOM, fifth-year student, Structural Biology and Biochemistry graduate program
Research Mentor Award
- Andres Henao Martinez, MD – SOM, associate professor in Division of Infectious Diseases
- Julie Siegenthieler, PhD – SOM, associate professor in Pediatrics
- Marcelo Perraillon, PhD – Colorado School of Public Health, associate professor in Department of Health Systems, Management & Policy